2018 Husqvarna FC 450
The SOHC engine is the perfect example of the advanced engineering techniques used by Husqvarna motorcycles. The 450cc offers a peak power of 63 hp at an overall weight of just 27.8kg. Mass-centralisation is key in the engine design, enabling chassis engineers to position the engine closer to the centre of gravity for greatly improved handling and manoeuvrability.
The lightweight 5-speed gearbox has a low-friction coating on the shifting fork guaranteeing smooth and precise shifting. The gear lever features a design that prevents dirt build-up and keeps the lever tip in its original position in even the toughest conditions while an advanced gear sensor allows for specific engine maps tailored for each gear.
With years of experience in designing the most advanced steel frames in offroad, the engineers in Research and Development designed a chromium molybdenum steel frame that redefines every structural aspect that benefits handling, ergonomics and packaging. With carefully calculated tortional and longitudinal flex, the frame works in harmony with the suspension to offer sharp handling and superior comfort. These characteristics, matched to a lightweight and compact engine design, offer exceptional handling precision while at the same time increasing bump-absorption and feeling.
Carbon fibre subframe
The use of carbon fibre strips away weight, improving weight distribution and bringing weight closer to the centre of gravity for precise handling. The composition of the material is 30% carbon fibre and the overall 3-piece construction is remarkably light but also very strong for an overall weight of 1.4 kg. Additionally, a specific rigidity has been calculated in the component for optimal handling and rider ergonomics.
- Design: 1-cylinder, 4-stroke engine
- Displacement: 449.9 cm³
- Starter: Electric starter
- Transmission: 5-speed
- Primary drive: 31:76
- Secondary gear ratio: 13:48
- Clutch: Wet, multi-disc clutch, Magura hydraulics
- EMS: Keihin EMS
- Frame design: 25CrMo4 steel central-tube frame
- Front suspension: WP-USD, AER 48, Ø 48 mm
- Rear suspension: WP shock absorber with linkage
- Suspension travel (front): 12.2 inch
- Front brake: Magura two-piston floating calliper, brake disc
- Rear brake: Magura single-piston floating calliper, brake disc
- Rear brake disc diameter: 220 mm
- Chain: 5/8 x 1/4″
- Steering head angle: 63.9 °
- Seat height: 37.8 inch
- Weight without fuel: 223.11 lb.
- Suspension travel (rear): 11.81 inch
- Tank capacity (approx.): 1.85 US gal